June is UV Protection Month. Are your eyes protected?
The sun plays an essential role to the health of our planet and all life forms on it.
- Plants are encouraged in the process of photosynthesis.
- Our bodies are capable of producing extra Vitamin D from safe exposure to sun.
- As a community, we can gather renewable solar energy from the sun’s rays.
However, when the sun is not viewed and harnessed in moderation, it can be harmful:
“Most people are aware of how harmful UV radiation is to the skin. However, many may not realize that UV radiation can harm the eyes, and other components of solar radiation can also affect vision. The longer the eyes are exposed to solar radiation, the greater the risk of developing cataracts or macular degeneration later in life. It is not clear how much exposure to solar radiation will cause damage. Therefore, whenever you spend time outdoors, wear quality sunglasses that offer UV protection.” (AOA.org)
Ask yourself these 3 questions:
- Do you spend a great deal of time outdoors? Skiing, mountain climbing, at the beach, etc?
- Do you take prescription or over-the-counter drugs that may increase your sensitivity to UV radiation? (If you are unsure, check with your optometrist, pharmacist or physician.)
- Are you exposed to sources such as, welding machines, tanning beds or lasers, which can produce artificial UV?
If you answered yes, we encourage you to talk to our staff about the benefits of purchasing eyeglasses tailored to your specific needs. Comprised of the best material and coatings, our lenses can be customized to be blue light protected, impact resistant, and all of our lenses have a built in UV blocker. Call our office today, or stop by to take advantage of our summer sunglass sale! Receive 30-50% off all sunglass frames from now through July 31st.